I have to say, I was not a fan of coming up with a birth plan. Every time I thought about writing one up I instantly felt lethargic and thought, "Do I really have to write up a birth plan??" I just didn't want to be that lady that waddled into labor and delivery with a thick manual dictating every little detail of what I wanted my experience to be like. It seemed like that would just be setting myself up for disappointment. Plus, those ladies are just annoying (uhhh...no offense to any of those ladies out there...).
However, after talking to my midwife at my last appointment I decided I would come up with a little one page bullet-point list of desires so that we are all on the same page. I'm sure I won't want to be discussing my wants in the middle of painful contractions so it's easier if everyone knows up front.
I thought I'd share a little bit of my birth plan on here to give you an idea of what I came up with and maybe it'll help some other mamas-to-be who are feeling a little overwhelmed with writing up a birth plan.
- My labor support person is: My husband, Alexander Acevedo.
- I would like the following people to attend the birth of my baby: Alex Acevedo - husband. Kristabel Lopez - mother.
- I would like to walk as much as possible during labor.
- I would like to use the hot tub during labor.
- I would like to use the following comfort measures during labor: breathing techniques, birth ball, different positions, squat bar, walking, massage, hot tub, music, cold compresses, warm compresses, whatever works.
- Please do not offer medications to me. I will request them if I feel they are needed.
- I prefer intermittent rather than continuous fetal monitoring.
- I would like to take photos and video during labor and birth.
- I would like to avoid an episiotomy as much as possible.
- I would like coaching on when and when not to push.
- I would like to avoid a C-section unless absolutely necessary.
- I would like my husband and I to be a part of the decision-making process.
- I would like the baby placed on my chest right after delivery.
- I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord.
- I do not want to be separated from my newborn during procedures.
- I plan to breastfeed exclusively.
- I would like to meet with a lactation consultant while at the hospital.
- Please do not give my baby any supplemental feedings or offer a pacifier without discussing it with me first.
- I do not want my baby to be circumcised.